Tuesday 2 September 2008

The Dreaded Hospital Visit

I've finally been to the hospital for my check up with the neurologist. Last year I was seriously ill in hospital with Benign Intracranial Hypertension . I was in hospital for 2 weeks and after a lumbar puncture (the most awful experience ever) drained all the excess spinal fluid away I was allowed home. I was put on tablets which would presumably be for life - as they have no idea why BIH starts or stops. I was obviously told to lose weight and stop smoking and I took the advice and felt the episode was a huge warning of what could happen if I carried on overeating.

Unfortunately when I started the Cambridge diet I was told that I couldn't take my tablets anymore because they are a diuretic. I wasn't too worried because for a couple of months I had had no BIH symptoms, just side effects from he tablets and I kept forgetting to take them which had had no ill effect.

So yesterday I went for the first check up with the neurologist and I was petrified! That whole time last year was traumatic and it took me a long time to recover - not just physically but mentally and emotionally. I was convinced he was going to say I was ill and he'd need to admit me or at the very least say I was stupid for coming off the tablets and make me start taking them again and therefore stop Cambridge. But he said I was absolutely fine!!! He was pleased with my weight loss and not bothered about the tablets at all. It such a huge relief - yee hah I'm a happy bunny today!!

No comments: