Tuesday 9 September 2008

day 30 by Munch

Feeling really down today. I know why and its a bloody stupid reason but all the same i am miserable and today would definitely be a binge day. But I am not binging and i have no inclination to because i know that it would make me even more depressed. So i could look on the positive side and see growth in that comment - but i cant coz i'm miz lol!


The post lady has just been and delivered my new book EATING LESS by Gillian Riley. Its all about food addiction and understanding and conquering it. In the first chapter it lists 21 characteristics of a food addict to see if this describes you - 20 of them describe me - omg!

this particular passage really hit home

' To varying degees addictions temporarily change the way we think and feel; they make us high, drugged, absentminded, or numbed in some way. Overeaters can go into a kind of daze while eating a perfectly ordinary meal. A food binge can create a state of intoxication or stupor not unlike that produced by alcohol.
This altered state of consciousness can create a buffer between us and our feelings which brings us a sense of comfort, and this is why we often turn to our addictions when we are unhappy or stressed. '

I'm amazed that someone can describe exactly my experience - bodes very well for this book helping me to get a grip on my food addiction. I might have cheered up a little bit ;)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the comment. I went to amazon for the book and also am getting her book Willpower. I think the two will go nicely together. I hope you are feeling better soon. It's funny how I started before you, but you 2 are the ones motivating me now. I really appreciate that.

Munch said...

Its a pleasure - but dont think that you aren't helping us - reading posts that show you find it difficult too is just as insightful and helpful as when you are perfect. I'm sure this journey will have many ups and downs and to know how someone else is experiencing it is invaluable. We are here to help each other hon, which is just as it should be xx

Oh and thanks i am feeling better now - a combination of your blog, minimins and this book has made me feel much more able to cope xx